Another special one...

Friday, May 23, 2008

Oksana, Oksana, Oksana!!!

It's like the night before Christmas here in Moscow...we are so excited, we are ready for that alarm clock ( or now, Baby Frances), to ring in the morning to start our exit...and then finally our entrance back home. The past couple of days have just...ummmm...been. A little cabin fever with Mama, as I have been outside with Frances once this whole week. There is a path worn in the hall from where we've walked back and forth passing the long hours. The weather has been crummy, keeping us in even more than expected. The good news is we had our interview with the Embassy this afternoon..the last step before boarding the plane to come home. All went well, and it was nice to coral with other families..many of which may be on our plane tomorrow. We've been so lonely, coming into contact with other English speakers was a treat!!
Charles and I looked up the origination of her given Russian name, Oksana. To our joy, we discovered it means "Praise Be to God!", with a Hebrew origination. Our Episcopal priest at St. James', Randy Hollerith, has become such a significant person in my life. My church has brought me so many blessings from my closeness to our Associate Rector, Dana Corsello, the women in our Bible Study, the church community itself. Above all, I attribute so much of my spiritual strength and guidance to the bond established with Randy and Dana. Many years ago, being at crossroads with where I was with my life, my relationships, my frustrations in general...I spoke with Randy on several occasions as to how to get through this very difficult and confusing time. Almost 30 years old, I was tired of meeting Mr. Right Now, the feeling of being stuck with my career, and other personal burdens I felt frustrated with. His words helped me tremendously. A few years later, I hadn't left Richmond for New York to be that aspiring actress or to a university to continue on my doctorate in counseling...but I had met and was engaged to my now husband. Something I truly thought was never going to happen. One Sunday after church, Randy stopped me and mentioned that he wanted me to know I had been in his prayers for all these years. He said that once he witnesses those prayers being nurtured and tended to by our God, he writes a special phrase by the person's name. That phrase is "Praise Be to God!". As we sit here about to end a 2 year journey, and begin another one that will hopefully last us the rest of our lives, I can't help but reflect on how perfect our precious angel's Russian name really is. We have faced the odds and disappoint of not being able to spend 10 months carrying a baby created by us, but I whole heartedly say, "Praise Be to God"for the miracle of our daughter, for her to be brought to us when suited, for the joy she has brought us, and for the blessing she is. Praise Be to God for the woman in some distant country who gave birth to our greatest gift, and saw fit to allow her to be loved and treasured by us. There are moments when I see all things are as they should be. Oksana, Oksana, Okasana!

O.k....8:35 p.m...Richomond..here we come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I can hear Grandmother Larkins singing in heaven right now..."to God be the glory, great things He hath done..."
Godspeed and Merry Christmas!!!!
Babushka and Dedushka